Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Professional

What makes a journalist professional? It's hard to say. While some things are easily agreed upon, others are not. For example, if someone is dying at your feet, do you help them or do you record it? How attached should you be to your sources?

The priesthood of journalism is often referred to as a "higher calling of serving others" or "the fourth estate." I suppose that could be interpreted differently, but the way I interpret it is that everything you do as a journalist is for the greater benefit of the public, no matter the cost. It may cost you a story, it may cost you your job, but that is something that you are going to have to be willing to risk. So in answer to the above question, I would help the person dying at my feet. Their life is more important than my job. However, not everyone would agree with me, which I find quite sad.

I do realize though that there is a point when we are getting too attached to our sources. We must separate ourselves from the story. We must keep a safe distance from becoming emotionally attached in order to still see both sides clearly.

However, there is also the concept of "New Journalism," where some believe that to get the most accurate information one must immerse themselves into the story. Is this true?

I think it's risky. The more involved you are in the story, the more attached you are going to be, and the easier it will be for your bias to appear whether you realize it or not. It's safer to be on the outside looking in, which allows you to see all sides and facts of the story that could otherwise be ignored.

Obviously I believe there will be some exceptions. I think there are times when immersing yourself in a story will add to the emotion presented and provide new insights. But like I said, it's risky. You have to be careful.

So back to the original question: what makes a journalist professional?

The thing I find troubling about this question is that everybody has their own opinion. Journalists learn all their skills from the journalists before them. So who makes the rules? Are there even rules in journalism? Should there be?

Sometimes I feel like people focus on the "don't ever do this" or "always do this" but they hardly ever mention the exceptions. I don't think there should be rules in journalism. Of course there are things you should and should not do. But there is almost always going to be an exception. Something that is horrible for one story could be what makes another story amazing. So when I asked myself what makes a journalist professional, I couldn't come up with a real answer. Because there is no real answer. Each journalist's beliefs, attitudes, and values make them unique. And what makes one journalist a professional could ruin another's career.

So use discretion. Make informed decisions. Be wise. And don't let other people tell you what to do. Do what you believe is best for YOU. Not what is best for journalists, not what is best for your company, but what is best for you and the public. Because after all, that's who you are serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment